Meme 2009: Revenge of the Meme

4 Jan

Why yes, I did survive the parental liver pickling ritual that is New Year’s Eve, thank you for asking. Hope you all survived whatever you usually get up to as well!

For my first post of 2009, a meme. I was tagged by the lovely and talented Amanda Pillar. Hers was interesting and mine probably will not be, but it’s better than me listing what I’m doing to get ready for my upcoming trip to see the in-laws. (Doesn’t sound like it should be complicated, but bear in mind that they live in Madras, India. It’s exciting, but yes, complicated.)

It’s just lame personal stuff, so beware.

Share seven facts about yourself in the post. Tag seven people at the end of your post by leaving their names and the links to their blogs.

1. My parents and my only sibling are all music teachers. The last time the four of us spent an evening alone together (September) it consisted of going to my dad’s final Fall Concert (he’s retiring this year!), then out for sushi, over which my brother and I had a Sapporo-drenched discussion/friendly argument about Franz Liszt. Which even my parents thought was pretty much the lamest thing ever. But it’s kind of their fault that their kids are lame, wouldn’t you say?

2. My favorite X-Man is still Gambit, after all these years. I can’t help it. I was 10 in 1990, and it was when I re-discovered my dad’s old comic collection and my love for Iceman, Human Torch, and Spidey. Gambit was new and shiny and… threw cards. And talked like a redneck. Come on.

3. The only thing I’m really qualified to be is an art historian, and seeing as I’m still a class and a thesis away from an MA that I can’t imagine I’d ever want to finish, not even that. I went to school to specialize in Himalayan Buddhist art history. I cannot get enough of art of all kinds, though. Reading about it, looking at it, talking about it, injecting it to the stuff I write.

Except that I hate Impressionism. But seeing as I have some characters who love it, I’m stuck with it all the same :/

4. I used to paint a lot in high school, and my teacher got pissed when I told him I didn’t want to go to art school to try and get actually good. I told him that I couldn’t be an artist, because I didn’t have anything interesting to say.

The only thing I was ever good at painting was people, anyhow. Turns out that I write exactly how I painted, but I try not to think into that too much.

5. People can knock Britpop all they want, but I fully credit it with saving me from the grunge plague that was eating my peers by the thousands in the mid-90s; I’d fought it off up to that point only by burying myself in classic rock. So I tend to think of it with the all the disconnected academic nostalgia of an American kid who didn’t really get it, but was just really grateful there was something other than Pearl Jam going on.

Plus, if it hadn’t exploded when it did, I probably wouldn’t have heard such seminal obsession-causing bands as The Jam, the Stone Roses, etc., until college at the earliest. Let’s not think of that, though.

6. One of my earliest memories is watching my dad play King Arthur in Camelot. My whole family spent lots of time at a summerstock theater, and I think I was like three or four the summer they opened with that one. I never quite forgave Guenevere for cheating on my dad with that dorky Lancelot– though Dad kissing someone other than Mom on stage seemed perfectly normal, if a bit silly.

(I also really, really love Waiting for Guffman thanks to the community theater childhood!)

7. I think George Harrison was the coolest dude ever. When I get questions about “who’s your personal hero?” or whatever on a meme/questionnaire, he’s always my answer.

Okay, so if you want to do this, I’d like to hear from:
N.K. Kingston
Meghan Brunner
Catherine J. Gardner
Michael Stone
Natalie L. Sin
Corinne Duyvis
Aaron Polson

Now playing: Manic Street Preachers – Slash’n’Burn
posted with FoxyTunes

9 Responses to “Meme 2009: Revenge of the Meme”

1. Amanda Pillar January 4, 2009 at 11:14 pm #

I love Buddhist art as well.

And I wish I could draw and paint really well too. I mean, I can copy really well… but not create. It has always bothered me that my mind cannot transfer to paper in pictures the way it can with writing. But what can you do?

2. Natalie L. Sin January 4, 2009 at 11:28 pm #

Ah, you waited until I had insomnia. You sneaky dame ; )

3. Cate January 5, 2009 at 7:47 am #

WOW! There’s no way I can top that list – music, art, comics. My list is going to pale into insignicance.

Enjoy India. I hope you plan on taking lots of photos.

4. Mike Stone January 5, 2009 at 8:59 am #

You’re such a geek. A brilliant and lovable geek to be sure, but definitely a geek. I’m actually quite jealous as I’d love to be knowledgeable about music and art.

PS. I won’t doing this 7 things meme as I’ve done it twice before. Because it’s a good one it goes round and round endlessly.

5. Cory January 5, 2009 at 9:14 am #

Woo I got tagged! I feel all special now. I posted my answers a bit ago.

I can only draw people, too. well, and animals here and there, but people are my strong suit. I did a couple of still lifes a few years ago that didn’t turn out half bad but I think the fact that I haven’t done any since then should tell you all about how much that wasn’t my thing. People are just more fun!

6. KVTaylor January 5, 2009 at 9:36 am #

Amanda, I have the same exact issue– I don’t create and if I do it’s just very meh. I can dissect a composition academically but to do it myself? Blech. I get frustrated, too!

Natalie, yes, yes I did. And my Evil Plan totally worked!

7. KVTaylor January 5, 2009 at 9:39 am #

Oops, hit the send button. I’m so not awake today, and it’s noon… god help me.

Cate, I shall indeed take many photos– my mother-in-law is going to take me around to see cool stuff while my husband sits on his ass and watches cricket for five days straight. It’ll be awesome!

Mike, don’t let this meme fool you. Five years of art education and I know jack. But I appreciate that my brand of horrible geekery is at least considered tolerable by some!

Cory, people are more interesting anyhow, no? I think that’s why Hals is totally my favorite Dead White Guy painter– he got it. I like still lifes on canvas (oh, Dutch Baroque art, you own me), but… yeah. Wow.

8. Cory January 5, 2009 at 10:34 am #

Hals is good stuff. I love how he caught people’s personalities and expressions. That reminds me that I should really should visit the Frans Hals museum again some time, it’s not that far away and I don’t think I’ve been there since… since before art school, probably.

(I actually visited maybe… two museums in my entire time at art school, and none since. How sad is that?)

9. KVTaylor January 6, 2009 at 9:03 am #

You know, it’s so weird how when you live near them, you kind of don’t think about going. My brain goes, “But you live in AMSTERDAM!!” and then it goes, “Er, yes, but YOU live in DC and… how many times have you been to the museums?

The answer: Only twice, when it wasn’t with someone coming here as a tourist. In three years. Plus I lived outside of Pittsburgh for 18 years and still have not seen the Warhol museum. Dude, I suck.