Spec Fic Recs from September

14 Oct

September was one of those months where I ended up strangely incapacitated. I read a lot, but it was mostly a book of Henry James novellas and polishing off some art history essays. I didn’t read as much online stuff as I wanted to– though I got some good recommendations from last month’s appeal, and have no really good excuse.

But there were a few things that stuck out. Half of this post comes from people I actually know, in the internet sense, which isn’t my usual. But I’m cool with that. It’s been over a year, so it’s time for some repeat offenders (and I generally meet people on the net because I tend to email them/find their blog and tell them they are awesome because of X Story)– and with offenders like these, there are no complaints.

First up, surely we all know that the newest issue of The New Bedlam Project cropped up recently. I talked about the first one, but just in a general “oh, this is rad!” way. Anyhow, this new one lives up to the promise of the first two, full of dark fantasy and horror awesomeness. From BT’s lead in, The Grass is Always Greener, it was full on. I was pretty impressed with the storybook feel to two of my favorites: Saranna DeWylde‘s Bluebeard’s Daughter and Louise Bohmer‘s Lair of Bedlam’s Witch. The former is a lovely and disturbing extension of one of my all time favorite fairy tales– very well composed, very prettily presented. She finds just the words to make it hurt. The latter is also a fairy-tale takeoff, a flash piece, but applies itself to your imagination in a particular way. Don’t want to say much about either, because they’re short and sweet and speak for themselves most articulately. But the whole issue is a must read.

I mentioned The World in Rubber, Soft and Malleable by Aaron Polson already, but I really can’t discuss my online reading for September and leave it out. The author here shows his usual ability to cut to the quick. (That, if you don’t know, is one of the highest compliments I can offer.) And while I’m talking of repeat offenders, I wanted to give a mention to The Boy Band by Natalie L. Sin. I’ve rarely read something so awfully fun. If you want a story without a dead spot (not undead, of course, just dead), she’s the one to look to anyhow. But truly, this story is at once adorable, hilarious, and plain scary. I don’t know how she does it, but it’s more than worth the read.

And in closing, something that’s more from October (okay, I know the issue of TNBP came out in October– shhh!), I just discovered Chris Douglas‘s new and fabulous fantasy webcomic, Antallan Tales, which is being serialized at Fantasy Magazine. I’m downright dickish about my webcomics, honestly, but a character is already fascinating from the first page in this one. I’m sold. There are a few more pages on his site, so have a look and see, but — yeah. Epic fantasy urges are going to be satisfied. Yay!

Well I had some nonsense to talk about short fiction in general, but I can see that this has gone on long enough, it’s getting too late here, and my Jack and Coke has gotten far too low. So sweet dreams, y’all.

Now playing: Black Rebel Motorcycle Club – Rifles

10 Responses to “Spec Fic Recs from September”

1. Natalie L. Sin October 14, 2009 at 11:52 pm #

Bedlam was especially kick-ass, wasn’t it? And Aaron’s stories always rock : )

Still touched how much you liked “The Boy Band”! It was definitely one of my favorite stories to write.

2. BT October 15, 2009 at 12:56 am #

Thanks for the mention, Katey. Couldn’t agree more with all the other stories you linked to – will have to check out Chris Douglas.

3. KVTaylor October 15, 2009 at 2:20 am #

Nat, I think when something’s that fun to write, it comes through. Plus, I’m a total fangirl, so even though the girl in the story wasn’t– well. You know. :D

BT, it was good stuff, man. It really set the tone– the dude entering the town and then BAM. Great send off to a great issue.

And yeah, I’m pretty excited they’re serializing it at Fantasy. Looks like way too much fun. Can’t resist a dark elf– or at least a character that looks like one.

4. JodiLee October 15, 2009 at 3:38 am #

Thanks, Katey! :D

I’m really glad you liked it – does this mean we may see you wandering the streets soon? ;)

5. Alan W. Davidson October 15, 2009 at 6:13 am #

Hey, really good review Katey. I’ll be sure to check those out.

6. Aaron Polson October 15, 2009 at 7:23 am #

I always love the spec fic recs. Especially sweet to see my name. Thanks for the mention.

7. KVTaylor October 15, 2009 at 10:30 am #

It didn’t get a story rec last time, just the general one, and it totally deserves more attention. Y’all put together a good thing. Hard not to want to hit those particular streets– I’m totally stalking submission periods :D

Alan, thanks man! Hope you enjoy. Let me know if you find something else I missed.

Aaron, thanks for the story. Repeat offender mentions are kind of fun. I should do them more often!

8. Algae October 17, 2009 at 1:23 am #

I hate to break it to you, but Antallan tales is awful. The art is terrible, Douglas breaks every rule of good comic paneling, the dialogue is poorly written and the plot thus far is ALREADY clichéd as hell. I actually find it insulting that Fantasy Magazine would try and feed us this drivel. Very, very poor choice on their part.

9. KVTaylor October 17, 2009 at 10:36 am #

Don’t hate to break it– I doubt it’s the first time something I picked didn’t appeal to someone else. I actually like it because it’s completely familiar and appeals to that part of me that read too many Forgotten Realms/Dragonlance books as a kid.

10. Louise January 6, 2010 at 9:00 pm #

“two of my favorites: Saranna DeWylde’s Bluebeard’s Daughter and Louise Bohmer’s Lair of Bedlam’s Witch.”

Just saw this. Thank you! :-)