Introducing Amory

5 Dec

Here’s a little photoblog action, since my day yesterday was weirdly literary.

I found out just before Thanksgiving that F. Scott Fitzgerald is buried at St. Mary’s in Rockville, which isn’t far from us. Most of y’all know of my Fitzgerald obsession already, since he pops up every time I talk about books and is easily in my top 5 list. Maybe at the very top, which is a conversation Balaji and I had yesterday in the car–but now I’m getting a head of myself. Anyhow, yesterday was a beautiful Saturday, so my husband cheerfully agreed to go on the pilgrimage with me.

Mind you, I’ve been trying to cram The Great Gatsby down his throat for 5 years now with no luck. But he’s a sport and came just the same.

So we got to St. Mary’s which is this weirdly picturesque old church in the middle of downtown Rockville. With an appropriately picturesque little graveyard beside it, naturally.

The Fitzgerald family plot at St. Mary's in Rockville, MD

So we said hi to the nice groundskeeper and wandered a little, but it’s small enough that finding the right grave isn’t so hard. Lo and behold, there lies the man:

So we beat on, boats against the current, borne back ceaselessly into the past. - The Great Gatsby

I mentioned on twitter that someone left him Wild Turkey, which we thought was awesome. There was also a Chinese CD, a copy of a biography of his wife, one of those Catholic card things with the BVM* and a prayer on it, and a couple of bouquets of dead roses. I left the guy a thank you note, myself.

The alcohol idea was better, though. Next time, I’ll bring Bushmills.

I don’t know why we do things like this, or why it matters–I wasn’t in the mood to analyze it. It was just cool as hell.

Later in the day it was time to do Christmas shopping. I’ve been wanting an e-reader for–uh, forever. There are several pdf books languishing on my hard drive, etc., etc. I held off on getting a new phone for the last two years, thinking I’d just get one on which I could read things… then the iPad was announced and I knew what I’d been waiting for. And finally, FINALLY, sweet, sweet technology is mine.

Shiny, isn’t it? I was wondering what I’d name it that morning before we left. I tend to name things after artists, like I was telling Cate in her shiny new Kindle purchase post. But after the pilgrimage, there was really only one direction to go with it, wasn’t there? Of course I named it Amory, after Amory Blaine.

Sweet, sweet technology is--wait, I already said that, didn't I?

Amory's freakishly appropriate first download.

Amory wondered how people could fail to notice that he was a boy marked for glory, and when faces of the throng turned toward him and ambiguous eyes stared into his, he assumed the most romantic of expressions and walked on the air cushions that lie on the asphalts of fourteen. -This Side of Paradise

Yeah, it’s definitely an Amory! And hey, Bala’s finally going to read Gatsby, so I gave him an early Christmas gift, too: his Huck Finn Novel-T, which was a surprise I cooked up. (Okay, okay, I got the Gatsby one for myself. Come on, it has the car on it!) So yesterday, overall, was a pretty big win.

And yes. Yes, the iPad is the very definition of awesomeness.

*That’s the Blessed Virgin Mary, for anyone not in the know/without droves of Irish Catholic relatives/who didn’t sit through endless art history lectures all through college.

15 Responses to “Introducing Amory”

1. Barry Napier December 5, 2010 at 8:27 pm #

So…you’re showing off your pretty ipad and you know what I saw?…the guitar pick. you play?

2. KVTaylor December 5, 2010 at 9:08 pm #

Ha! There IS a pick there! I do play, and often at my desk because I’m looking up tab. My mum is an incredible guitarist–I am just a dilettante. Keeps me … Close to sane, anyhow. Do you?

3. Aaron Polson December 5, 2010 at 9:33 pm #

No pick for me, thanks. I’m on bass. (and real bass players finger pick…not that I’m “real” at all).

Lovely iPad.

I need to find Poe’s grave now so I can leave that guy a thank you note. (I think I better hold off on the booze)

4. KVTaylor December 5, 2010 at 11:54 pm #

He’s buried in Baltimore, I believe–so come up and see us sometime! (We’ll save the drinking for after. Good call!)

(I learned guitar without a pick–my mother’s a classical guitarist by trade, so… yeah. Classical guitars don’t take kindly to picks!)

5. Nat December 6, 2010 at 4:25 am #

You could always get a couple of unabridged audiobooks to reel Balaji in with; next time you’re on a pilgrimage, on goes the Great Gatsby, and he won’t want to stop driving.

6. Cate Gardner December 6, 2010 at 4:42 am #

Gorgeous. My kindle and I are jealous.

I used to play guitar back in my teen years… No wait, I used to carry a guitar around on my back and pretend I could play guitar. I’m not musical at all, but it looked impressive.

7. Barry Napier December 6, 2010 at 9:17 am #

Yes..well, i USED to play. I was in a bar/cover band for about 5 years. But after that, I was much the same…sitting at my desk, learning songs that I would forget in about a week.

The idea that Aaron plays bass has me wondering where a drummer is. I see another version of the Rock Bottom Remainders in the works here…

8. KVTaylor December 6, 2010 at 12:36 pm #

Nat, that’s a great idea! He’s a huge reader but tends to want to stick to re-reading when he’s been at work all day. That’ll blindside him, ha! (he’s already into this one, but I’ll use that strategy next time for sure.)

Cate, guitars do generally look cool, don’t they? My mom always looks like a total badass!

Barry, I was just thinking the same thing! Okay, I’ll play rhythm and sing backup–I do a mean harmony!

9. Natalie L. Sin December 6, 2010 at 3:11 pm #

I try to make Ying watch/read things too. I’m destined to fail, but I try anyway.

10. Danielle Ferries December 6, 2010 at 9:05 pm #

I love reading about F Scott Fitzgerald and Zelda. I love his books too.

11. KVTaylor December 7, 2010 at 3:00 am #

Nat, I can usually prevail… eventually. And when I do he’s always very into whatever it is. But it takes some work.

(And I am pretty much the same–at least when it comes to reading. We like to push random books on each other, I guess.)

Danielle, they were definitely an interesting–kind of scary couple, actually. Fascinating stuff.

12. Jeremy D Brooks December 13, 2010 at 4:49 pm #

iPad…so jealous…

13. Beth Ann December 14, 2010 at 7:12 pm #

Dag, now I really want a Darcy shirt…. :D

1. Fun With Vampires: Liam | KV Taylor - June 13, 2012

[…] is why I left F. Scott Fitzgerald a thank you note. A month later, Belfire sent me a contract, so I am now not-so-secretly convinced he’s […]

2. The Boy Who Talked Through Books | KV Taylor - February 16, 2013

[…] over a year ago–wait, no it was two!–I did a post about visiting F. Scott Fitzgerald’s grave. There’s a very brief mention there of me leaving him a thank you note, but I don’t […]