Try Me, I’m Cheap! (Er, my stories are cheap. Wait, no, not that either–)

8 Mar

I realize that most of my modest blog traffic comes from my fellow writers–those who have probably seen a story of mine either because I’ve shared a ToC with them or because they’ve been generous enough to click a link I left laying about and read me. I thank you, my fellows, for the support and the camaraderie, without which I would be even crazier than I already am. Witness my last entry, evidence of just how badly I need you. Aaron is being sappy, so I will be too: I love you.

Because I spend so much time chatting y’all up here, I wanted to dedicate an entry to selling myself to the other few readers who occasionally wander by this blog on accident. People who’ve clicked through from RPP, Morrigan, or Belfire; old school friends generous or brave enough to click something I posted on facebook; fandom and RP acquaintances who stumbled over a link at one of the old (or current!) haunts; person who searched for rand al’thor “wet dream” on google and was likely very disappointed to end up here. (Okay, that last one is because I did actually call Rand Al’Thor a miserable Gary Stu/fanboy wet dream. I brought that on myself.)

I’m lucky and happy that you visited here, and would like to beg that you try me. Just give me a shot, just once! I’ve got a book coming out in a few months (deep breath, Kate…) and I don’t expect people to buy it just because my name is Katey or–for whatever inane reason authors get that weird entitlement thing kicking sometimes. So I’m asking you to do me a huge favor and try me, some time. If you don’t like me, I’ll understand, I promise.

If you’re inclined to humor me, then without leaving the comfort of your computer chair, without dropping so much as a nickel, you could check out “Cigarettes in Hell”, for example. It takes about 3 minutes to read, being flash fiction, and though there’s not much to it is pretty indicative of how I write, I’d say.

If you’re willing to invest a few bucks (or, rather, a buck and a half) in the enterprise, one of my latest publications was in Ante Mortem from Belfire Press. I link to the Smashwords site because the ebook (all formats, rich text, pdf, epub, whatever) is currently half off there–it’s Read An EBook Week, so if you enter the code “RAE50″, bam, $1.50. “The Dubious Magic of Elliot Prince” is a dark but absurd story about two ridiculous boys–but again, probably really indicative of how I write, and the kinds of things about which I tend to write.

That one’s a great deal even if you end up disliking “Elliot” intensely, because you can not only try me, but the first three stories in the collection are from Aaron Polson, Natalie L. Sin, and Gina Ranalli, some of my favorites. You will, without a doubt, like them. There are lots of amazing people in this book, but I’ve read the first three already myself, and can recommend them. Aaron’s left me with a wonderful lump in my throat, Natalie’s made me grin and cringe and fall in love, and Gina’s is lush and captivating and scary as hell.

I know I won’t be for everyone. But in the words of Abe Lincoln: People who like this sort of thing will find this the sort of thing they like. I appreciate the forbearance of all the people in my life, now and in the past, who’ve ever had to hear me natter on about imaginary people or catch me with my head in a notebook when I should’ve been doing something else. More than one teacher at Brooke High complained to my dad–who also taught in the building–about that latter one. Poor man.

If you do give me a shot, thank you very much! If not, well, I understand that too. Conniving demons and murderous college boys aren’t everyone’s bag. Definitely mine, though. ;)

Now playing: Emmylou Harris – Michelangelo

14 Responses to “Try Me, I’m Cheap! (Er, my stories are cheap. Wait, no, not that either–)”

1. Aaron Polson March 8, 2011 at 3:44 pm #

Call me lumpy. It seems to be what I do best. ;)

Great post, Katey.

• Katey March 8, 2011 at 4:59 pm #

You should be called lumpy. It gives the wrong impression, perhaps, but anyone who’s ever read ANYTHING by you will get it. That’s for damn sure.

2. Anthony J. Rapino March 8, 2011 at 4:33 pm #

Great post! I can absolutely relate as I’ve, only recently, had the preorder to my chapbook up. I’ve been anxious about all the same things you mention.

I have your flash piece open in another window, ready to read, and I’m going to buy the e-book as well. Here we go! :-)

• Katey March 8, 2011 at 5:01 pm #

Aw, thanks so much, Tony. (Er, can I call you that? That’s your name, I know I’ve seen you say it on twitter!) I really appreciate the moral support–and your willingness to give me a shot.

I have a Strange Pub subscription, so you’d better believe I’m looking forward to that!

• Anthony J. Rapino March 8, 2011 at 9:36 pm #

Awesome, I hope I don’t disappoint. You’ll get an e-mail filled with sweet preorder bonus goodies around the 13th. :-D

Yeah, call me Tony. No one ever calls me Anthony in the “real world.” I just use it as my pen name.

• Katey March 9, 2011 at 3:29 am #

I have great faith in both you and Aaron–I can’t wait. And awesome, Tony. I thought I’d see you refer to yourself as such, and it’s weird when people call me Kathryn. Not ’cause I don’t like it, but because it’s a bit formal. Like I’m about to be called to the principal’s office.

3. Danielle Ferries March 8, 2011 at 8:58 pm #

I wonder too if anyone else is reading my blog apart from the regulars, but I am most happy to have found some fellow writers to blog with who write in the same genre and share similar interests and oddities.

• Katey March 9, 2011 at 3:30 am #

Oh yeah, that’s why I started it, for sure–I don’t know where I’d be without it! But I know my friends and family stop by from time to time, too–either because they tell me or my blog stats show me where the traffic comes from–and I figured it was time to pounce! Mwahaha~

4. John Cash March 8, 2011 at 11:40 pm #

Pshaw. Of course you’re for everyone. Even those who, for one reason or another, might be inclined to claim you are not.

Perhaps even especially for them!

You’re definitely for me, though. You’ve yet to write anything I haven’t adored to pieces. I’m sure you won’t believe that–at least, not entirely–but there it is, all the same!

• Katey March 9, 2011 at 3:34 am #

No, I won’t believe it, but I appreciate that you’d say it anyhow! And you have read… like some of everything. Which is a bit shocking, really.

And all that matters is that I’m for you–and maybe a handful of people like you! (I just mean, come on. We have a certain set of tastes. We can’t be the only ones.)

Thank you a million times!

5. Cate Gardner March 9, 2011 at 2:57 am #

No one appeals to everyone, but I bet your stories appeal to a large audience, Katey. I can’t wait for Scripped.

• Katey March 9, 2011 at 3:35 am #

Well fae torture and stockholm syndrome are perhaps not for everyone either, but I am really hoping it’ll amuse you, Cate. If not, the cover will probably make a really nice color flame when it burns.

I kid–thank you so much for the support. At times like these, oh wow. Need it. <3

6. Jeremy D Brooks March 9, 2011 at 11:34 am #

Picking up Ante Moretem this very morning…

• Katey March 9, 2011 at 12:19 pm #

I can say with confidence, at least, that the first three stories are worth it. (The fourth is the Dunwoody, so I got a feeling that one’s worth it too!)

Thanks, Jeremy! You, sir, are awesome.