GRRM, Scripped, Fish, and Other Hijinks

15 Apr

I had this whole crazy plan that I was going to do this silly post about politics and America and how we haven’t changed in 150 years except now we’re not on the verge of a civil war. (Hey, we’re fucked up, but not that fucked up.) Alas that the day got away from me. So after a week of intense research where my back was friggin killing me from bending over that damn microfilm thing, where my head is stuffed full of people who aren’t me shouting in a vernacular that is not mine, and I worked really hard on other stuff too…

Fuck it! I’m going to talk about easy fun stuff, not thinky fun stuff. In bullet point form, no less. Yeah. I’m that lazy, but it’s a beautiful Friday afternoon, dammit. It’s made for laziness.

1. It is Balaji’s birthday. Happy birthday, Balaji! You are made of pure golden awesome.

2. Some reviewer called Ginia Bellafante for the NY Times posted a clueless, sexist review of the upcoming Game of Thrones episode. I liked this response, even though she calls romance novels tripe. I’m going to pretend she means romance novels that don’t bother with depth of character and/or proper development, though, for the sake of my sanity. High five to her, and to Galen Dara who linked it via twitter.

[ETA 4-16: GRRM responds. Hee!]

3. So, maybe I’ve never mentioned this, but I’m about 2 months away from my first novel being released. Yeah, gee, you know, I hardly ever think about it, so it’s no wonder I’ve forgotten to mention it ever.

Right.

Well, it’s almost over, but I can’t promise I’ll ever shut up about it. In that spirit, I have bookmarks!

Lots of bookmarks!

There’s also a mockup of the cover–it’s unfinished, so you know, just the work in progress!–on Jodi Lee’s facebook, if you’re friends with her. It’s pretty effing creepy and dirty and dark and… Scripped-looking.

Well, no, I’m not expecting bookmarks to sell the thing. But more on that later. I just got excited when they arrived today, is all. I mean–I wrote a book!

4. Not only that, but I get to edit another one! Check out this call for submissions to Dagan Books’ latest project. I’m going to be co-editing it with the mastermind, Carrie Cuinn, and I’m really excited. It’s such a gorgeous idea, and with Galen Dara involved you know the art will be magnificent, too.

5. It was my day for spa week treatments. I didn’t realize how much I needed to just take an hour and lay there not thinking until I had to because I, uh, couldn’t move. (Had a steamer on my face or weird stuff being rubbed into it or whatever.) But my pores look awesome, my eyebrows are a work of art, and my hair feels like silk, so yes. Thank you for taking my money, though even your discounts left these services heinously overpriced.

Also, I have Interpol tickets. Again. <3 Tiny DC club, couldn’t pass up the presale. Waaaaugh!

I’ll stop now. Happy weekend, y’all. More hilarious [ETA: I just realized that could sound wrong. I did NOT mean it in a good way.] antebellum newspaper hijinks when it’s over!

Now playing: Black Rebel Motorcycle Club – Salvation

14 Responses to “GRRM, Scripped, Fish, and Other Hijinks”

1. Mike Stone April 15, 2011 at 6:49 pm #

Lots of top quality beans going on there! The bookmarks look well nifty.

• Katey April 16, 2011 at 12:38 am #

They came out rather well, I guess. One never knows with those things. Thanks, Mike!

2. I'M ANITA, PLEASE REMEMBER ME...GRR April 15, 2011 at 8:24 pm #

Heh. Sorry, couldn’t resist sparring with WordPress.

Your bookmarks are MAGNIFIQUE!

I’m so proud, and excited, and humbled that I KNOW YOU. ;) In two months your going to be holding your creation in your hands!

Very, very cool. And happy birthday, Baja! Whoever you may be. :)

• Katey April 16, 2011 at 12:39 am #

Seriously, I’m really, really wondering what the HELL its problem is. Cookies. ACCEPT MY COOKIES!

… I get the feeling that’s not gonna work. If only I could bully the browser/wordpress into listening to me. Wait, no, I take it back!

I should’ve mentioned that, sorry–B is my husband :D

3. Fredericks April 15, 2011 at 10:18 pm #

Boooook! Yes. Two months. I cannot wait, so I can hardly imagine what you’re going through. :)

Thank you for linking to the NYT review and the nicely phrased rebuttal. I do love when fiction and literature is divided into “chick lit” and “men’s business.” For serious.

• Katey April 16, 2011 at 12:41 am #

I am freaking the fuck out, not gonna lie. But hey. Book! I’d take a lot of freaking the fuck out for a book. A LOT!

Right? I’m glad she warned us that it was total crap for us apart from the random sexy time (apparently we’re only interested incest? I don’t even–). Good thing she’s here to let us know what we like!

… Extra awesome that we met from mutual Tad Williams love, on this particular convo. <3 Fredericks.

4. Natalie L. Sin April 16, 2011 at 1:25 am #

Ah, book marks. The missing socks of the literary world.

• Katey April 16, 2011 at 11:38 am #

Oh hey, I thought I’d lost that one forever!

Yes, I know that reaction all too well…

5. Cate Gardner April 16, 2011 at 3:15 am #

Happy *belated* birthday, Balaji.

Yay, bookmarks. Bookmarks always fill me with happy.

• Katey April 16, 2011 at 11:39 am #

I know it–I adore them. Well, obviously, since I throw them around like they’re going out of style. I figure it’s always useful to have something to hand to people or put on the goody table at a con, right?

And… bookmarks!

6. Corinne April 16, 2011 at 5:23 am #

So basically, you’re doing ALL THE THINGS right now?

… awesome! <3

All of this is super exciting — you're flying lately. And late congrats to Bala!

• Katey April 16, 2011 at 11:40 am #

Yes, give me ALL THE THINGS! *hoards them*

I am flying through stuff at the moment, but I’m knocking on wood there.

Balaji went back to bed because he has a headache, so I guess that means yesterday was a successful birthday :D

7. Tony April 16, 2011 at 10:10 am #

The bookmarks look great! Very cool, and *very* exciting. Congrats again for getting to co-edit the Dagan Books’ project.

• Katey April 16, 2011 at 11:45 am #

Thanks, Tony. It’s going to be a ridiculous couple of months–but I don’t have to tell you. Ridiculous, but also exciting!