Yes, there is a down side to writing historically oriented fiction…

17 Apr

I won’t admit that often, but it’s 3am and so I’ve officially spent 10 hours of my day collating my last week of newspaper research and a few sundry details I found here and there with the draft of the novella–which already had the early research incorporated, luckily, or it would’ve been even uglier than it is right now:

June-Aug, 1856. Busy, busy boy.

That’s June-August in the life of my Jonesy. Also, Washington City, Georgetown, and sundry other places of note at the time such as California, Texas, the Carolinas, and perhaps most importantly, Kansas. The backs of each page are scribbled with the evolution of attitudes towards events in those particular places and anecdotes/gossip that may or may not prove relevant.

My madness. Let me show you it.

Unfortunately, Jonesy didn't have access to Google Calendars.

You’d think this would make me feel super accomplished and responsible and stuff. But instead, I’m sat here going, “Fuck, is this story even good enough to be WORTH this kind of organizational effort?” Which is what we all do, I know, when we get tired.

The answer, as usual, is that it’s not like I have a choice in the matter, because clearly I’m totally caught up in it. So I’d better just go ahead and keep on full steam and trust that someone will read it and tell me to knock it off if it’s terrible. (Before, you know, the intended publisher sees it and has to do it.) See, it’s not drive and commitment that keeps us going, is it? It’s more like despair. That’s not even a complaint, really. When you just give in and go along for the ride, sometimes it’s pretty fun.

And look at it, it’s like art! Thank god for that multi-colored Smithsonian pen Jen bought me last year at Air & Space…

Also, that’s an awesome run-on sentence in the beginning of this post. To bed with me. Hope your weekends are going well!

15 Responses to “Yes, there is a down side to writing historically oriented fiction…”

1. Cate Gardner April 17, 2011 at 3:31 am #

OMG! And I bet you had both a frustrating and bloody brilliant day.

(P.S. It’s going to be brilliant)

• Katey April 17, 2011 at 1:59 pm #

Your support is appreciated–as usual. You are the best!

It was both frustrating and brilliant, and this morning I was relieved to find it done, I can tell you :D

2. Aaron Polson April 17, 2011 at 1:12 pm #

Kansas, 1856. There will be blood.

Now I’m wondering how my little Kansas has found its way into a KV Taylor tale.

• Katey April 17, 2011 at 2:00 pm #

Bleeding Kansas was of extreme interest to the political busybodies of Washington City just then! Oh, Kansas. Born in blood, for sure.

A West Virginian can relate, in a way!

3. Danielle Ferries April 17, 2011 at 10:48 pm #

Oh, I love this intricate planning and layout.

• Katey April 18, 2011 at 12:38 pm #

Anything to make me feel less insane, right? :D

4. Natalie L. Sin April 18, 2011 at 1:05 am #

I read one real book, and one yaoi. A successful weekend : )

• Katey April 18, 2011 at 12:38 pm #

I’d say that’s better than successful :D

5. Megan April 18, 2011 at 3:18 am #

My boy’s family was in CA during that time (and before – crazy sixth generation Californian) – let me know if I/he/we can be helpful in digging up history/gossip/etc.

Also, yay, organization/lists/calendars/etc.!

And yes, of course, it’s worth this.

• Katey April 18, 2011 at 12:39 pm #

OMG that’s so cool. Gold rushers!

You are very kind to tell me it’s worth this. Seems like you’ve been doing that for half of my life, now <3

6. Meghan April 18, 2011 at 9:13 am #

I think my head just blew up.

I stand in awe.

Also, I suddenly have the itch to drag out my old click-pens and see if they still work. Not that I have any idea what I’d do with them; I just feel bad that they’re sitting in a drawer somewhere.

• Katey April 18, 2011 at 12:39 pm #

The click pens are the best thing ever! I was so excited when she picked them up from a bin at the gift shop, and I knew it’d come in handy some day…

7. Barry Napier April 22, 2011 at 11:42 am #

And now I realize just how inferior my research methods are.

• Katey April 22, 2011 at 12:17 pm #

No, the word you are looking for is “sensible”. This was so not necessary…

It made me feel better. But I didn’t need to be this crazy. It’s just how I control my chaos.

1. And For My Next Trick: Inedible Sins | KV Taylor - March 13, 2013

[…] It is a long-established fact that I am a historical fangirl. My love of ridiculous activities such as combing through two-hundred-year-old newspapers to find out where the most happening parties were, what hotels were all the rage, who was having what picnics where, all the best political scandal, and even the weather on a given day is well-known by now. The last big fact-finding mission I went on was in re Washington, DC just pre American Civil War: the summer of 1856. That one was for a novella working titled “The Inedible Sins of Sebastian Jones”. I once made a post about collating that research to lay out my main character Jonesy’s summer. […]