In Which My Vampires Find a Home

12 Aug

Once upon a time, I wrote this book. It’s enough to say that this book is the reason I started asking for help, starting showing people (apart from my best friend) my work some ten years ago. It’s pretty much the story I want to tell.

Not because it’s deep and meaningful. I mean, you guys know me. But it is my perfect combination of sex and death. The two most inescapable fascinations humanity has, tangled up together in the precise way I always wanted. It is My Thing, and some of the characters have been with me since–no shit–childhood.

(See poster boy over there. His name is Aldo, as I’m sure I’ve said before. He’s irritated my best friend Tara since I was 13 years old, but we all have our favorite children.)

And finally I did a 13th draft and looked at it and said, “Huh. I think this is the one.” I’d just sold Scripped earlier in the year, and I thought, okay, I’ll send this to Belfire when they open up and see if they agree. They seem to get this fucked up murderousness meets really wrong love story thing I’m kicking. A book containing violent sex one chapter after someone gets their throat ripped out? They might be into that!

So if you saw me crowing about good news some time last month–or maybe it’s been two now, I don’t know, I’ve been sitting on this news for what feels like ages–they did agree. The first in my vampire clusterfuck epic, Liam, gets a home with them sometime next year. You can see it here at the site if this inspires curiosity, though I’ve already got the domain masking for the series working (http://fiorenzafamily.com/), it’s still the usual kvtaylor.com looking page for the moment.

To be brief, Liam is a love story for monsters. It is mean, it is dysfunctional, it is ugly and mindfuck-y, but hopefully a little bit pretty in its unabashed screwed-up-ness, too. I think it qualifies as a dark paranormal romance, but that implies a lot of things it’s not. (It’s definitely not a Katey Hawthorne story. The trauma that might induce…) The rest of the story explodes from it hard, and they leave many, many bloody trails in their wake, once all of the vampires get their own book.

But this is the beginning. And it’s mine. And I’m so fucking excited I could scream.

Saying thanks to everyone who helped me with it would take up like 10 blog posts alone, so I’ll save it for the book. But guys, this is huge.You know who you are. <3

Phew, I said it! I found out just as the Scripped stuff was kicking up, and I’ve had a contract for nearly as long, but I didn’t want to, you know, spread myself too thin. Concentrating on the matter at hand, and all that. But now there’s a little lull between pre-orders beginning and release, so… here it is.

*high five*

And now, I have some prizes to mail!

Now playing: Kasabian – Seek & Destroy

30 Responses to “In Which My Vampires Find a Home”

1. Kalen O'Donnell August 12, 2011 at 3:17 pm #

There is not enough squee in the world.

If you need me, I shall be off-planet, mining for more squee in the asteroid belt and outer planets.

• Katey August 12, 2011 at 6:52 pm #

It’s extremely likely we will knock into each other up there, at the rate I’m moving through the asteroid belt just now. Weeeee!

2. Shad August 12, 2011 at 3:18 pm #

Congratulations!

• Katey August 12, 2011 at 6:52 pm #

Thanks! I’m still squeeing after knowing this for two months. I might never stop.

3. Anthony J. Rapino August 12, 2011 at 3:24 pm #

Wooo! So cool. You have a pile of great news these days. Good stuff! :-D

• Katey August 12, 2011 at 6:53 pm #

Yeah I had a crap year last year, but this one is at least trying to balance it out. Thanks!

I won’t speculate on next year. I don’t think I wanna know, considering.

4. Richard Baron August 12, 2011 at 3:26 pm #

I’m excited enough about ‘Scripped’ and now you pull this out. Awesome news. Even more amazing that you refrained from letting the news out. I would have exploded. You can count on my order when it’s available. Right, i’m going to have a nice cup of tea now.

• Katey August 12, 2011 at 6:54 pm #

I just about exploded on everyone in my life, that’s for damn sure.

In fact, I had champagne!

5. Aaron Polson August 12, 2011 at 3:57 pm #

Vampires are great. Love stories for monsters even better. High M-effing five! (Congrats!)

• Katey August 12, 2011 at 6:55 pm #

I am sorry to disappoint, but they are very pretty vampires. G, in fact, owes a great deal to Frank Langella as Dracula. But I hope their viciousness will make up for this shortcoming!

High M-effing five, yeah! Thank you!

6. Milo James Fowler August 12, 2011 at 4:14 pm #

Good things come in 2’s? BIG bloody congrats!

• Katey August 12, 2011 at 6:55 pm #

Weird but true! Thanks, Milo :D

7. Louise August 12, 2011 at 8:23 pm #

Congrats, Katey!

About 10 yrs back, I met a woman on Horror Authors Network who was writing a novel called Liam, I think, to do with vamps. I wondered, “Whoa, was that Katey?” heh :D

• Katey August 12, 2011 at 11:38 pm #

She stole my boy!

Ha, no, Liam. It’s a nice name, innit? I would’ve saved it for a kid, except I’m an Oasis fan, and therefore if I name my kid Liam, it’s like, “Oh, you did it because…”

They meet this vampire? Not so much.

Thanks, Louise!

8. Jen August 12, 2011 at 9:31 pm #

I was in the middle of framing a picture, and Dave called in from the living room, “What does it mean when Katey says she sold Vampire Book 1?” I think I actually cracked the glass in the frame I dropped it so fast and high-tailed it to my computer to check this shit out for myself. OMG, Katey. GAH! I kid you not, I’m *this* close to crying I’m so excited for you. This book is so special to you (and I love those crazy kids so much it hurts) that I can only imagine how you must be feeling. Congrats, hon, a million congrats! I’m so, so, so proud of you. :) **hugs**

• Katey August 12, 2011 at 11:37 pm #

I totally cried. You know I did. You know me, you know Liam you know… everything.

Love you!

9. Meghan August 12, 2011 at 10:21 pm #

I’ve said it before, but I’m saying it here, too. You are the one and only person who can write a story with vampires that has caused me to not only enjoy it, but read it several times with utmost pleasure.

I’m so glad the rest of the world will finally get to witness the awesome.

• Katey August 12, 2011 at 11:36 pm #

I am so proud to be the source of your single vampire pleasure. Or, rather, Gianni is. He is so pretty when he preens, though, we can’t begrudge him that!

Thank you for making it happen. <3

10. Dana Stoll August 12, 2011 at 10:30 pm #

I am so glad that your vampires have found a home that us not im my head.

Now. Sit back. Deep breath. Smile.

This is huge and I guarantee only the beginning…

• Katey August 12, 2011 at 11:36 pm #

I love you. But you knew that, too! You told me so!

11. natalie August 13, 2011 at 3:01 am #

woot woot woot woot woot! So many congratulations!

• Katey August 13, 2011 at 1:02 pm #

Thanks, Nat! So, so, so excited about it… but you guessed that. Thank you for sharing in my resounding trans-atlantic woot.

12. Cate Gardner August 13, 2011 at 4:04 am #

Vampires were my first love and will probably be my last love. I’d say I can’t wait to read it but I get to read about some fae first so that’s cool and I have my little Liberty Tree chapbook. See I can be as patient as you (almost). I can’t believe how well you’ve kept this to yourself (sort of, you know except from the nosey people who had to know what the champagne was for).

Congrats again, Katey

• Katey August 13, 2011 at 1:03 pm #

Yeah apart from that first day where I went all twitchy and certain observant folk who know me very well caught it, I daresay I did a good job of keeping it mum! You know as well as I how that feels!

But now, all bets are off. :D

Thank you, and dude. Vampires are totally my first and my last, too. <3

13. Corinne August 13, 2011 at 7:01 am #

I’ve already congratulated you but you know I have to do it again. So, you know, congrats like whoa. I can’t wait to finally read the damn thing! Blood and death, yay! :D

• Katey August 13, 2011 at 1:04 pm #

You’ve heard so much about them, I really wonder if there’s anything left to surprise you in them! Well, they’ll try, at least. God knows. :D

Thanks, Cory! Also for the Drop Shot celebration!

14. Tricia August 13, 2011 at 1:41 pm #

Congrats again! I can’t wait for this. I’m still wondering why you never let me read this a long time ago. We practically grew up together and I’m sure you knew I was warped enough to love it. I’m really excited for the more seasoned, mature Katey version, though. I promise that even when you have 50 novels published I will never sell my Katey Treasures.

• Katey August 16, 2011 at 1:07 pm #

I am so glad you won’t sell them — they are awesome! My mom and Balaji thought so anyhow. (Biased? Well, maybe B, but surely not Mom!)

You are definitely warped enough for the vampires. I’ll have to show you Liam someday soon!

15. ME and SQUEEEE August 13, 2011 at 6:02 pm #

Katey! Just … WOW! I know what this feels like, having a baby … THE ONE … waiting in silence. Mine is still hiding and I hope to get it on the shelves some day, some way.

Also, I read the excerpts. HOLY. Yes, mark me down as a Katey junkie because I’m already salivating for it. When do I get my SCRIPPED fix?? LOL.

I’m SO PROUD OF YOU!! 13 drafts my dear.

Looks like 13 is lucky after all. ;)

• Katey August 16, 2011 at 1:07 pm #

13 has always been my number, weirdly enough. Also my dad’s. And look at WHO ELSE has awesome news… :D