Announcement: The Chaos Will Continue

21 Dec

So, looking back, I’ve pretty much spent the entirety of 2011 thinking, “Right, things will calm down next month.” No, I’m not trying to say I wasted time actually repeating that thought, I just mean that I had this attitude, and then when time slipped away, I was all “OMG however did that happen?!” Which sounds ironic, but no, sincerely, I was confused.

Incredibly daft of me, in retrospect. For one, this is the first year I ever had a novel hit the shelves, virtual or otherwise. Scripped has been an amazing process, and I’m kind of shocked to find that I still love it, after all that time with it… but I do. That’s pretty rad.

I invented Katey Hawthorne, who has officially signed three contracts this calendar year — two of which already dropped. (More on that later!)

KV Taylor signed another one, too. THE ONE. Also, that whole Scripped thing. Jaysus!

In other words, shit just got real. Of course I was running around like a chicken with my head cut off. That’s awesome — it’s beyond awesome and into the überawesome zone. Officially. And me, sitting over here for years and years just pecking away — hell, I had no idea what that would entail, from a legwork perspective. What it’d be like to produce, edit, promote, and flog the hell out of my own books. Let alone that many. At once. It was kind of like I’d been paddling around happily and suddenly realized there were sharks under me. Like, lots of ‘em. And they kind of wanted to be my friends, but only if I did things right. Things I had never even known existed.

Shit got real! (Yay for editors who rock!)

I am not pressed for time. I am just trying to learn things all at once, which takes a little more brainpower, is all. Still, if I have a resolution, it’s going to be to stop standing here like a dumbass going, “Oh god, where did the time go…?”

It went into the  überawesome zone. Where happy time always goes.

Two fun things worth checking out that happened at the same time and forced me to finally realize this:

1. New edition of The Red Penny Papers. It is shiny. Very, very shiny. Also, free.

2. New romance novel incoming. Yeah, I know, I didn’t put any release info — actually I didn’t even list the publisher, but there are sensitive timing issues at hand, here. Contract is sent and safe and all.

Oh, also, Sherlock Holmes is worth the money and all, but not as good as the first one. Still, fun.

12 Responses to “Announcement: The Chaos Will Continue”

1. Anthony J. Rapino December 21, 2011 at 12:58 pm #

Sweet! If it means you keep producing the way you have been, I hope things never calm down! :-p I have my copy of Scripped right here, and I may even have time to read it soon. Hurray!

And Red Penny Papers! Oh yes, I will break in some day. Maybe if the first line of my new story contains a sledge hammer… ;-)

• Milo James Fowler December 21, 2011 at 2:17 pm #

You are entering…The überawesome zone, courtesy of KV Taylor. WAY TO GO!

And I’ll be downloading the new RPP, mos def.

• Katey December 29, 2011 at 7:25 pm #

It’s a really pretty issue, Milo — I think you’ll dig it. But then, you’re RPP’s style too :D

the überawesome zone

It does have a certain ring to it.

• Katey December 29, 2011 at 7:24 pm #

I am sure you will, Tony — you’re just up RPP’s alley :D

I can’t complain about things being wild. I shouldn’t. I don’t know why I kept wishing it away…

Except that I’m quite silly.

2. It's ME! December 22, 2011 at 1:19 am #

Hey there my friend! I’m finally peeking out from the edit cave (although I have it on good authority–the editor goddess herself–that I’m about to be hit w/line edits this wkend, heh).

I’m soooo proud of all you’ve accomplished this year! You amaze me. Really. I have this suspicion that you have an invisible jet tucked away somewhere and were actually born and raised in the mysterious Cavern of Souls. HEH

I have Scripped listed on GoodReads on my “am reading” shelf, and have just started it this week. Reading might be a little spotty once the edits hit me again, but I’m hoping to get it read by mid to late January! SO excited!

Just wanted to drop in and say how grateful I am to have met you this year. I really look up to you and your incredible drive and energy. Have a wonderful and safe holiday, and I’ll see you in the New Year!

• Katey December 29, 2011 at 7:26 pm #

Ooooh line edits! Those are usually a little easier, mostly because they tell you EXACTLY what to do instead of a few things being like, “Well, we need more of this and less of this and fix that… you know.” I am sending awesome edity vibes your way, man.

Just wanted to drop in and say how grateful I am to have met you this year.
      You are amazing. I feel the same, exactly the same, and I need to thank Kalen for that, come to mention it…

You’ve had a hell of a brilliant year, yourself. And I cannot wait to have what will come of it in my greedy little hands. Soon. Oh so soon! <3

3. Cate Gardner December 23, 2011 at 5:32 am #

Can’t wait to hold my copy of Scripped. Please get here already.

You’ve had a fabulous year, Katey and I suspect next year is going to rock even more.

• Katey December 29, 2011 at 7:28 pm #

I am glad it finally came to you! I am also holding a copy of Theatre, incidentally.

Speaking of fabulous years… :D

4. Barry Napier December 28, 2011 at 9:45 am #

Hooray for all the shit-getting-realness!

• Katey December 29, 2011 at 7:28 pm #

So far so good?

Well, close enough, right!

5. Bob K. January 12, 2012 at 7:49 am #

Hi Katey,

Ain’t the recognition of your talent a grand thing!!

Not to mention a vindication for all the “thanks, but no thanks” rejections; each one of them, no matter how we may deny it, nibbles off an itsy-bitsy chunk of a writer’s soul. Garner enough of them and nothing is left unless you cling tightly to that Faith In Yourself as a Writer – not always such an easy task.

The best of luck to you, keep the Faith, kiddo, keep on clinging!

Bob

1. Resolution | KV Taylor - January 2, 2012

[…] I’m working toward them. But also it’s because of the stuff I said in that recent Chaos post, about how so much of what happened, particularly in the last half of the year, was so very, very […]