Social Animals

29 Dec

I don’t think writers are social animals.

Earlier today, I was thinking, “God, why am I so worn out?”

It’s a fair question. I’ve done… well, not that much, this week. I kept up with emails — after the weekend, anyhow, which was understandably commandeered for holiday festivities. (An atheist and a Hindu walk into a bar on Christmas Eve…) I’ve even got some work done, stuff I needed to finish, adminny things, promoy things, etc. etc.

And yet, I keep thinking I’m tired. Then I realize: “Oh right. People.”

The holidays are a time to engage with our fellow, um, humans, right? We had most of the weekend to ourselves, but Monday we went out for dinner with our fantastic neighbors (genuinely — they know all the best restaurants and are awesome folks), tonight we’re going to dinner at a friend’s house because his parents are visiting (and are from Chennai, therefore they want to cook for my husband — it’s a thing), and this weekend my parents are coming for our usual New Years Blowout Dinner Event. (tm?)

I’m already like, “I WILL NOT SPEAK TO ANOTHER HUMAN BEING FOR TWO WEEKS AFTER NEW YEARS.” Also, I keep thinking, “I will write and write and write and write and HIDE.”

These are all people whose company I enjoy. Like, genuinely, I like them, I look forward to spending time with them. I look forward to doing things that will make them happy — good dinners, nice cigars, bottles of wine, gift exchanges, catching up.

And yet, I know I will be tired after the fact. I know I will want to hide under a rock. This is certain. I understand that some human beings do not get this tired effect. In fact, they seem to be recharged by this whole human interaction thing.

But I want to know, my writer friends: do YOU feel recharged or worn down in such circumstances? I feel as if writers either prefer our own heads, don’t have the energy to go around, or simply don’t give a shit in some cases. (Not mine! I complain about humanity, but I do love a pretty long list of people, I admit.) Is this some horrible stereotype without cause? Or is it one that arises from some sort of reality? Is there some causal relationship here?

The holidays seem like the most obvious time to ask these questions, since we can’t avoid interaction just now. So what do you think?

Coming up next:  a bold new years resolution!

And by bold, I mean I’m actually making one. Dun dun dun!

11 Responses to “Social Animals”

1. Milo James Fowler December 30, 2011 at 10:23 am #

“I will write and write and write and write and HIDE.” Sounds good to me! I have four days left before I get to interact with my 120 students on a daily basis again, so for now I’ll be soaking up the quiet time, mos def.

• Katey January 2, 2012 at 4:29 pm #

I hope the re-entry to interaction goes as easily as possible, Milo. <3

2. Chris Samson December 31, 2011 at 1:57 pm #

I basically agree with you. It’s more about time than energy though. It’s a constant battle to evolve as writers while balancing the other areas of our lives too.

• Katey January 2, 2012 at 4:30 pm #

Yeah, that’s a really good point — I think for some it’s about time and for others it’s about energy. I am blessed with a lot of time, relatively speaking. But SOMETHING’s bound to get us…

3. Cate Gardner January 2, 2012 at 2:13 pm #

I’m always tired, people or no people :D

• Katey January 2, 2012 at 4:31 pm #

Oh yeah, me too. Huh! :D

4. Mary January 2, 2012 at 2:15 pm #

“Write, and hide! And write, and write and hide! Write, write, write. Hide, hide, hide.”

~sung to the tune of the Itchy & Scratchy theme :)

• Katey January 2, 2012 at 4:31 pm #

I can’t STOP singing it now. Mwahahahaha <3

5. Anthony J. Rapino January 2, 2012 at 3:11 pm #

I think that’s a good assumption. ;-)

• Katey January 2, 2012 at 4:31 pm #

Sweet! I am not alone in wanting to be left the fuck alone :D

6. Meghan January 8, 2012 at 10:20 pm #

Waaay behind the game… but yeah, with you. I have seven weekends of RENFEST LOVE and dinner with the folks every Wednesday…. but other than that I’m very, VERY content to hide in my tower. Hell, even at Fest I’m something of a recluse. I dodge all the big parties and huge daytime crowds by staying planted at Irish Cottage.

Any other time during the year that social stuff starts getting added to my calendar on the weekends… well, except for a very few people, it mostly makes me run around in little circles for a week ahead of time. At least. Add more than two in a month and I’m a freaking wreck.